East Asia and Pacific
Europe and Central Asia
Latin America and Caribbean
No countries found
- Kenya has a growing middle class and is one of the most advanced economies in Africa
- One of the earliest adopters of undersea cable technology which brought the price of connectivity down
- The epicenter of mobile money technology with the launch of mobile payments startup M-Pesa
- Strong technical talent (especially in Fintech, AI, Life Sciences)
- Educated population: 56% with higher education; 94% English proficiency among young professionals
- Ease of starting a business: a new business can be started in 3 days
- Internet connectivity: ranked the fastest public Wi-Fi globally and 3rd in the world for 4G availability
- Big consumer market that continues to expand due to increased technology and internet access
- One of the main global players in agribusiness
- High unemployment rates leading people to entrepreneurship
- Large population new to the internet
- Affordability and accessibility of high speed mobile internet
- Prevalence of basic tech talent
- Affordability of living and operating a business
- Internet/socially active population
- A good mix between expats and locals
- Technical talent
- Proximity to the U.S. in terms of geography, culture and time zone
The Startup Universal Country Guide is a central destination for insights and news related to a country’s startup ecosystem. It provides a foundation of knowledge to help direct those interested in becoming more involved in an ecosystem.
Each Country Guide includes an Ecosystem Overview with data and insights, and a Newsfeed with relevant articles. Content is locally sourced, and aims to present a curated insider view of the ecosystem.
The Ecosystem Overview includes the qualified perspective of a country “Guest Editor” -- an experienced startup leader (investor/founder/thought leader) with deep ecosystem knowledge. It consists of several sections:
- Editor’s Guide: A section personally authored by the Guest Editor detailing the unique challenges and opportunities within each country’s startup ecosystem, as well as which industries and startups to focus on. This guide is routinely reviewed and maintained by the Guest Editor.
- Country Snapshot: A section featuring information about the country’s economy and population. This snapshot data is sourced from prominent global databases such as the World Bank and The World Factbook, among others.
- Community: A section outlining the main ecosystem resources, from local investors and accelerators to coworking spaces to events and more. This Community section is dynamic and is constantly updated through crowdsourced submissions.
Apart from the Ecosystem Overview, all Country Guides have a Top Stories tab highlighting the latest news surrounding the ecosystem, with both original articles and articles from other tech news sites.
All content on the Country Guide is reviewed before it is added to the page. At Startup Universal, our goal is to ensure all site content is authentic, current, and useful.