East Asia and Pacific
Europe and Central Asia
Latin America and Caribbean
No countries found
- A large consumer market of 200 million people
- The highest ecosystem value in Africa
- More than 500 active and viable startups, and the generally rapid growth of tech startups
- Affordability of living and operating a business
- Internet/socially active population
- A good mix between expats and locals
- Tight-knit startup community
- 8000+ startups & scaleups, 50+ Accelerators, 40+ Coworking spaces, 60+ technoparks
- 45% of population is below age 30
- Existing Infrastructure: 3000+ startups, 130+ VC firms, 100+ accelerators & incubators, 255,000 software engineers
- The 6th largest EU market by population (38 million citizens)
- The lowest cost of living in the EU
- The most gender equal tech community in Europe
- Modern banking system open for fintech innovation
- Ranked 2nd in ease of doing business according to the World Bank
- An educated workforce
- Trading hub due to geographic location (connectivity)
- Developed infrastructure
- Multicultural population
- The 2nd largest LatAm market (120 million people) – startups can grow quickly by focusing on one country
- Mexico City is a world megacity, among others like Tokyo, Shanghai, Delhi, New York, and Sao Paulo
- Funding from investors is available in Mexico, and there are new investors like Softbank
- As neighboring countries and markets, Mexico and the U.S. have a unique relationship
- Mexico has low operating costs, specifically real estate and talent
The Startup Universal Country Guide is a central destination for insights and news related to a country’s startup ecosystem. It provides a foundation of knowledge to help direct those interested in becoming more involved in an ecosystem.
Each Country Guide includes an Ecosystem Overview with data and insights, and a Newsfeed with relevant articles. Content is locally sourced, and aims to present a curated insider view of the ecosystem.
The Ecosystem Overview includes the qualified perspective of a country “Guest Editor” -- an experienced startup leader (investor/founder/thought leader) with deep ecosystem knowledge. It consists of several sections:
- Editor’s Guide: A section personally authored by the Guest Editor detailing the unique challenges and opportunities within each country’s startup ecosystem, as well as which industries and startups to focus on. This guide is routinely reviewed and maintained by the Guest Editor.
- Country Snapshot: A section featuring information about the country’s economy and population. This snapshot data is sourced from prominent global databases such as the World Bank and The World Factbook, among others.
- Community: A section outlining the main ecosystem resources, from local investors and accelerators to coworking spaces to events and more. This Community section is dynamic and is constantly updated through crowdsourced submissions.
Apart from the Ecosystem Overview, all Country Guides have a Top Stories tab highlighting the latest news surrounding the ecosystem, with both original articles and articles from other tech news sites.
All content on the Country Guide is reviewed before it is added to the page. At Startup Universal, our goal is to ensure all site content is authentic, current, and useful.